The African Development Bank (AfDB) is recruiting for the post of Lead Governance Officer (ECGF) in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire. This is the right time to apply for those who are looking for a job opportunity in AfDB Bank. For further information read further:
Job title: Lead Governance Officer, ECGF
- Grade: PL2
- Position N °: 50064843/50064844
- Reference: ADB / 21/003
- Duty station: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
- Closing date: 13-Feb-2021
The main objective of the work will be to coordinate key technical leadership in the field of governance policies, strategies, programs, and knowledge management, and to lead coordination, technical advice, and support for the delivery of ECGF work-programs.
The leader’s role is to provide strategic advice on the bank’s position in the governance agenda internationally and regionally; To provide technical advice, guidance, and quality control of operations under the responsibility of ECGF in the area of economic and financial administration including public financial management and combating corruption.
He will also be responsible for coordinating the cross-cutting initiatives of the department and advising on strategic matters related to the governance agenda of the bank.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Director – ECGF, the Lead Governance Officer will perform the following:
- Assist the Director in planning, organising, managing, and supervising the activities, work programme, and budget of ECGF.
- Assist the Director in coordinating and supervising the staff of the department. Coach and provide professional guidance to staff. Lead and foster teamwork in the department towards the delivery of the work program.
- Provide technical support and operational guidance, to ensure the timely delivery and quality of the Banks operations, in the area of governance, including through the review of reports on the different stages of the operations cycle (identification, preparation, appraisal, supervision), sector studies, and policy papers, as well as participation in project missions;
- Lead/ coordinate the development and implementation of a program of analytical work to reinforce Governance operations and policy dialogue; Facilitate the mobilization of targeted support to the Bank’s governance agenda including through technical assistance and trust funds.
- Promote sector knowledge and dissemination of good practices in the area of governance, within and outside the Bank; articulate and advocate key governance issues and challenges facing the continent and the Bank’s response; strengthen the Bank’s work on governance, anti-corruption, and public financial management, as well as integrity, transparency and accountability standards and practices.
- Lead, guide, and support the Bank’s strategic engagement and knowledge base with its partners (AU, UNECA, UNDP, World Bank, European Commission, OECD, pivotal bilateral donors) and relevant special initiatives, such as Africa Peer Review Mechanism (APRM), Africa Technical Assistance Centres Initiative (AFRITAC), Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI), the Collaborative African Budget Reform Initiative (CABRI), African Tax Administration Forum (ATAF), in close coordination with the Director and respective Task Managers.
- Advise on policy matters, strategic issues, special initiatives, and strategic partnerships relating to the Governance work of the Bank. Lead, coordinate, and/or participate in the preparation and review of policy statements, briefs, strategies, and various reports on governance.
- Coordinate engagement incorporate processes, policies, and guidelines especially on budget support, governance, and public financial management, including the review of IFF and Governance strategies, as well as relevant evaluations (on budget support, public financial management, fragile states).
- Ensure that governance aspects are mainstreamed in Bank country strategy papers and Bank-financed operations, in collaboration with the other Bank organizational units; Play an active part in formulation and implementation of Bank policies, initiatives, and operations, in light of international best practice with the aim of strengthening quality at entry, operational effectiveness, and policy dialogue.
- Represent the Bank at technical conferences and report on best practices with a view to disseminating them to the Department’s staff. Also liaise with the other organizational units to prepare the Director’s participation in conferences, workshops, and initiatives within the Department’s scope of responsibility.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Economics, Public Administration, Governance/ Political Science, Law, or related fields.
- Have a minimum of eight (08) years of experience in governance, public sector management, policy formulation, public expenditure, or related areas.
- Proven ability to build and lead a team in an interdisciplinary and multicultural environment, a very good team spirit, valuing mutual respect as well as regular and open communication;
- Strong experience in the design and delivery of governance operations (including investment projects, results-based operations, and program-based operations), as well as project management,
- Proven ability to conduct research, analyze, and produce reports. Publications on topics related to governance would be an added advantage;
- Sound understanding of governance issues in developing countries, in particularly around macroeconomic management, transparency, and accountability in public financial management, ensuring a business enabling environment, combatting corruption and illicit financial flows, and promoting participation and demand-side governance.
- Demonstrable experience of the operational policies, procedures, and practices of major bilateral or multilateral organisations in Africa;
- Track record in engaging policy dialogue and providing advisory services and capacity building.
- In-depth understanding of governance and public management issues, including a strong background in Africa and/or countries in transition.
- Ability to broker knowledge through partnerships, collaborations, and networks.
- Familiarity with operational policies and programming practices of a multilateral organisation
- International experience working in development in several countries.
- Ability to apply innovative approaches, work independently and apply new methods to solve problems, while remaining efficient in a fast-paced, changing, and challenging environment;
- Ability to succeed in a multi-cultural environment
- Capacity to manage sensitive situations requiring work under pressure to deliver results within the prescribed time limits;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other. Knowledge of Arabic or Portuguese would be an added advantage.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Experience in the use of SAP is advantageous
How to apply
If you are a well-educated person and consider yourself eligible for this position, click here and submit an online application otherwise go to African Development Bank Career Portal for information related to other vacancies.